Sunday, May 17, 2009

Milkshake redux.

There are a couple of telltale signs that summer is coming--being invited to barbecues, blockbuster movie releases (e.g. Star Trek!), TV show season finales, and this sudden urge to buy clothes to keep (and look, of course) cool. I went to a barbecue yesterday to celebrate a birthday, I watched Star Trek last weekend when it opened, I'm wondering if Holly will return next season on The Office, and I just bought a summer dress on Friday (omitting a few prior recent purchases). I think summer is well under way and it's not even Memorial Day yet.

The temperature high for today was probably well above 90 degrees, and just thinking of firing up the oven was enough for me to feel sweat beads forming on my forehead and nose. Baking was not going to be in the cards for today.

Growing up, one of my favorite after school treats was a banana milkshake. I would walk home from the bus stop (being bused to school), and that walk which included going over hills (it probably wasn't even really hilly, though, as a kid, I sure remember thinking it was hilly) on sweltering days felt never-ending. The prospect of the sweet, refreshing milkshake often helped make the oh-so-long one mile trek just a little bearable. Being outside today felt pretty close to unbearable. I thought of those banana milkshakes that I used to have in my youth and thought today would be a good day to revive them.

There's nothing fancy to them, it doesn't even require ice cream. And I made some modifications to it such as using honey instead of sugar and adding blueberries, now that I'm an adult, but it still brings me back to those after-school afternoons.

Banana-Blueberry Milkshake
Serves one

- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium banana
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup honey

Add all ingredients in a blender, give it a whirl, pour into a tall glass, and drink with a straw.

5 comments:

  1. This looks better than a malt! I like to freeze bananas and use them in place of ice cream--I fool myself that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, that sounds like a great idea. I'll try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah summertime! I'm loving this sunshine :). I used to request that my mom make me peanut butter banana ice cream shakes when I was little, not nearly as healthy as this, but I do enjoy bananas in shakes -- they add a yummy creaminess to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love milkshakes!! They're so refreshing, and the possibilities are endless. Yours looks particularly wonderful! Oh, and I really hope Holly comes back next season on the Office. Maybe I'm a total romantic (okay, I am), but I LOVED the season finale. It was so darn sweet! (Yes, I love "cheese.") Anyway, I also love your blog, and I can't wait to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophie: peanut butter banana ice cream sounds awesome!

    Elyse: thanks so much for visiting my blog! I hope you'll continue to come back :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I may not always be able to respond right away, but I appreciate your comments!